The new year is usually a time of excitement and enthusiasm, when you can get a jumpstart on all of the new projects, habits, and lifestyle choices that you’ve been dreaming about. However, nothing kills this excitement and enthusiasm faster than a nagging physical ailment. One of the more common, and more irritating, conditions that afflicts people is carpal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal tunnel is an inflammatory condition that is the result of repetitive gestures. It causes pain and numbness in the hand, and is one of the leading conditions that causes Americans to miss work. One thing that most people don’t know is that chiropractic work is actually a great way to relieve your carpal tunnel syndrome. Let’s take a closer look into how and why chiropractic services can fix your carpal tunnel syndrome.
What Causes Carpal Tunnel Pain?
The pain in carpal tunnel syndrome comes from a pinched nerve in the wrist. From here, comes the pain and numbness previously mentioned, primarily in your middle and index fingers. Carpal tunnel can also weaken your thumb. Most people first notice their carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms while doing normal activities that involve holding something, like a phone or book. The pain and numbness will continue to worsen, to the point that it can even wake you up in the night, due to the severity.
How Chiropractic Services Can Help
Chiropractic work is a safe, accessible, and noninvasive treatment that can help reduce the pain and impact of carpal tunnel syndrome. There are several unique options for treating carpal tunnel, and we will select the best one for your condition. These include:
- An adjustment to your wrist, arm, or upper spine. A spinal misalignment can significantly worsen your carpal tunnel syndrome
- Ultrasound therapy, which works to relax muscles, alleviate pain, and reduce inflammation, through the use of sound waves
- Wrist support, through a brace, which can help to strengthen and stabilize your wrist, reducing the impact of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Along with utilizing chiropractic services to help fix your carpal tunnel syndrome, there are also several preventative steps that you can take in order to prevent carpal tunnel flare-ups. These include:
- Keeping your hands warm. Cold hands are more likely to be stiff and sore, which only encourages the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Focus on improving your posture. Improper posture puts strain and pressure on certain parts of your body, and this can trickle down to put strain and pressure on your wrist and hand.
- Reduce your grip. Most people actually put too much force into the way they grip and hold things, and this increased force can wear down your muscles, tendons, and nerves over time, increasing your likelihood of getting carpal tunnel syndrome.
If you’re looking to start the new year off right, and fix your carpal tunnel syndrome through chiropractic services, contact Petett Chiropractic today. Our team will help get your hands and wrists back in working order, so you can seize the year!